Tuesday, July 28, 2015

My Windows Toolkit

Today someone asked me about password mangers and tools I use, and I promised a writeup so here goes...

Tools: there are a bunch of tools and utilities for Windows.  I'm sure there are many excellent ones I don't use, but here are the critical few that I use all the time.  Each has a free version (not a trial) with upgrades/subscriptions you can purchase for more features.
  1. AVG AntiVirus - easily the best free version I've used, worth a subscription.
  2. Advanced System Care - a very complete set of tools to manage & tune Windows
  3. CCleaner - just sweeps up after you, but boy does it clean
  4. Disktective - small program that tells you what is using up all your disk space.
  5. PDF-XChange Editor - remove Adobe Reader and replace it with this. Just do it.
 My passwords discussion ran a little long ... click "Read more" for all the gory details.


Passwords: OK, you have to keep track of a sh!tload of passwords, right?  Some are just so you can login to some member site (like this blog), others are for access to places you really need to keep secure, like a bank.

For the first kind, I use the password manager in Firefox.  I don't "sync" these passwords though, so I'd be in trouble if I didn't have a recent backup of my Firefox files.  I'm sure it's all backed up though...

Now, for the second kind...

Don't store passwords for any websites that deal with money or your identity online.  No files full of passwords, not even the password manager in your browser.  You need a way to remember them.  I use an algorithm (process) that I will remember no matter what site I'm logging in to. Here's an example (NOT what I do), YMMV.
  1. Keep a 4-digit PIN code or a set of PINs that you will remember IN YOUR HEAD.
  2. Think of a word that helps you remember something about the site you're looking at.  If it's a bank, maybe moolah, dinero or notenuf would be good words.  Again, something you'll remember.  Use a different word for each sensitive site.
  3. OK, now you need to think about how to modify your word and integrate your code.  You could reverse the spelling, alternate UpPeR & LoWeRcAsE or split the word in the middle and put the last part first.  Then integrate your PIN.  You could put half of it in front and half in back, alternate characters and numbers, whatever you'll remember.  If your word was "moolah" and your code was 3415, you might have H2a4L1o5Om.
  4. If you can use punctuation, pick your favorite character and add it too: H_2a4L1o5Om
  5. Finally, if you have to change your password on a regular basis, you can add something to keep track of the time AND ensure you won't reuse a password: H_2a4L1o5Om153 (153 is the 2-digit year and the current quarter)
  6. That's it.  You now have a pretty strong password from a root word and a PIN code that you can recreate anytime just by knowing the word, PIN, and how you "built" it.
  7. YES, you CAN write down the base words, PINs and your algorithm somewhere, just don't save this document online!
Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff or if you know of other tools you really like.

PS: there are Mac versions for some of those tools...

No comments:

Post a Comment